1. Preheat oven to 200°F (400°C). In small bowl, combine black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt. Sprinkle both sides of steaks with spice mixture, pressing down with fingertips to adhere. Set aside. Let stand for 15 min.
2. Heat 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) canola oil in large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook steaks 4 min., turn and cook 2-4 min. longer or until desired doneness. Place steaks on separate plate and place in oven to keep warm.
3. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. canola oil to pan residue in skillet, cook shallots 15 sec., stirring constantly. Add mushrooms and cook 3 min. or until tender, stirring frequently, using two utensils as you would with stir-fry. Spoon equal amounts over beef and return to oven to keep warm.
4. To skillet, add coffee, vinegar and remaining 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, continue to boil 4 or so min. or until reduced to 1/4 c. (60 mL). Spoon over all and top with additional coarsely ground black pepper, if desired.
* Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.